Why Prioritising Your Clients Is a Recipe for Disaster: Unraveling the MythApr 24, 2023
Remember that motto we all learnt in the 90s - "the customer is always right". Well we're here to tell you it's all bullshit. That's right. The customer (or client in our case) is NOT always right and thinking so can have disastrous consequences for you and your business.
We want you to establish healthy boundaries and create a fulfilling VA business that benefits both you and your clients.
In this blog post, we'll delve into how you can strike the right balance.
Debunking the Myth: "The Customer Is Always Right"
We challenge the notion that clients should always come first, arguing that this mindset can lead to a lack of fulfillment and even harm your business.
You've got to put your own financial needs, goals, and success at the forefront to create a sustainable and thriving VA business. Because we promise you that your clients won't be putting your needs above their own, so you shouldn't be doing it for them.
This is your business. And you get to decide exactly how you want it to run and what you will and won't do. Period.
Misplaced Loyalty: The Downside of Prioritising Clients
Constantly putting your clients' needs before your own can result in misplaced loyalty and several negative consequences, such as:
- Neglecting your own business development and growth
- Failing to set and maintain healthy boundaries with clients
- Struggling to meet your own financial needs and goals
By recognising these potential pitfalls, you can take steps to ensure that your loyalty is appropriately balanced between your clients and your own business.
The Importance of Putting Your Financial Needs First
Prioritising your clients' financial needs over your own can be detrimental to your business's long-term success. To avoid this, consider the following tips:
- Set competitive rates for your services that reflect your expertise and the value you provide
- Regularly review and adjust your pricing strategy to ensure it remains profitable
- Be transparent with clients about your rates and the scope of work included in your services
- Always invoice in advance and if any client falls behind in payments, follow them up swiftly and stop work if invoices go unpaid outside a month.
By focusing on your own financial needs, you can build a financially healthy VA business that allows you to better serve your clients.
Establishing Healthy Boundaries with Clients
Set and maintain healthy boundaries with your clients. It leads to a more fulfilling and successful VA business.
- Clearly communicate your working hours and availability to clients
- Set expectations for response times and project turnaround
- Be assertive in enforcing your boundaries and saying no when necessary
By establishing healthy boundaries, you can create a more balanced and sustainable working relationship with your clients.
Prioritise Your Own Business Growth and Success
We advocate for making your own business growth and success a top priority. To achieve this, consider the following strategies:
- Dedicate time and resources to your own business development and marketing efforts
- Continuously invest in your education and professional development
- Regularly evaluate your business goals and adjust your strategies accordingly
By prioritising your own growth and success, you can create a thriving VA business that benefits both you and your clients.
Remember - you are in control and you get to decide. You're a business owner and now it's time to step into that business owner mindset.
Feeling like your business has fallen off the tracks? Join us inside the Scale It Mastermind where we teach you how to get the business of your dreams, not the one that has been hijacked by the demands of your clients!
Starting out on your VA journey?
Launch your very own virtual assistant business in just 30 days with our step-by-step playbook!
We'll guide you every step of the way, from setting up your business to securing (and onboarding) your first client.
Established VA looking to scale?
Join the Scale It! Mastermind for virtual assistants looking to level up their business. Make more money, get more clients and grow your team today!